It’s just about springtime with warmer temperatures and a renewed energy for eating healthy and being more active. After a winter of heavier, warming foods it isn’t only your closets that need spring-cleaning. Spring is a great time to incorporate some additional cleansing foods into your diet to facilitate the detoxification process.
You don’t have to follow a crazy detox diet to reap the benefits of a spring cleanse. In general, eating a diet rich in whole foods, especially fruits and vegetables, will support your body’s elimination of toxins.
What foods are best to eat to support liver function, digestion and cleanse?
Here are 5 delicious foods that will give you a cleansing boost into spring.
1. Avocados – rich in glutathione-producing compounds, eating avocado supports your major detoxification organ, the liver. Glutathione is so important because it is known as the ‘master-antioxidant’, meaning it ‘recycles’ antioxidants that protect cells from oxidative damage. Avocados are also rich in fiber and fat soluble vitamins.
2. Lemons – lemon juice contains vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that helps calm liver inflammation and protects against free radical damage. Lemon juice also helps break down food in your stomach for better digestion. Squeeze some fresh lemon in your water or on foods for bright flavor.
3. Pineapple – not only is pineapple sweet and delicious, it contains a powerful digestive enzyme call bromelain. Bromelain helps to digest protein, break down fats, and reduce inflammation. Cut up a fresh pineapple and eat it with Greek yogurt or for a sweet dessert.
4. Apples – apples are well-known for their soluble fiber content called pectin. In addition to lowering cholesterol, pectin binds to heavy metals to usher them out of body and relieve the intestines of toxic buildup. Apples are also a good source of vitamin C.
5. Cabbage – in the cruciferous family of vegetables, cabbage is a natural diuretic that activates liver enzymes to flush out toxins. High in fiber, it also cleanses the digestive tract. Cabbage will also neutralize some of the damaging compounds in cigarette smoke.
Remember to drink plenty of water and to participate in activities that make you sweat to help your body eliminate toxins.
Get a jump on spring with these simple, delicious foods. Next – it’s time for the closets!